Friday, December 5, 2014

Harry Potter Series

Author: JK Rowling

Of all the audiobooks I have listened to at work, The Harry Potter series had been one of my very favorites, while I went to the bank in over-time pay. For years I fought the Harry Potter Craze, I thought it was dumb and I did all I could to spoil the endings for the people who were all revved up on the series. (back when it was more current.) When I listened to this series I was glued to my head-phones loving every second of the adventure. I have now listened through the entire series twice, about 5 years apart. I cannot recall the reader the first time, but the second time I listened to Jim Dale. Your other option is Stephen Frye. I really liked Jim Dale's reading. Do you have a preference?

If you are like I was, you want to avoid the series for any number of reasons. The main reason I suggest this series is because of its easy listenability. I think the best audiobooks for the work place are easy-listening books aimed at a younger crowd. Who wants to listen to a heavy and super-serious book while trying to get things done? Harry Potter is nice because if you get distracted by work you don't really miss a lot. You don't have to pay really close attention to understand what is going on. 
The basic plot line is Harry, an unknowing wizard grows up among humans (his aunt and uncle who hate magic) turns twelve and  and gets a mysterious invitation to entroll at Hogwarts a "School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." From there you follow his education, adventures, misadventures, and rise to power to defeat the wizard who killed his parents.

I have heard it said that Professor Snape is the greatest literary character of our time, and I cannot disagree.

Approximately 117 hours.

Audience: Ages 14 and up.

I give this series  5/5 stars. 

Here is a listing of the books in order:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Genre Fantasy, young-adult fiction, mystery, thriller, bildungsroman, magical realism



Book to Movie grade: C+

No comments :

Post a Comment