Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Magicians

By Lev Grossman

   The Magicians Trilogy is American Harry Potter goes to Narnia and does drugs and women. I wanted very badly to like this series because it was recommended to me by a friend whose taste I respect. I listened to the series in its entirety with an open mind and when I was done, seriously don't know if it was good or not. This review is one of the hardest I've ever had to write. The good: It wasn't the worst series I've listened to and it had some unique aspects that I enjoyed. The Bad: The author isn't a great writer. The story line feels very scattered at times and I just wondered "WHY" with some of this side story choices.
   I would recommend trying out the first book and see if you want to go any farther. I also want to see what other people think of the series. I made the mistake of watching a couple of episodes of the TV show. It kind of tainted my feelings of the books.
   What more than I say about the book without spoiling it.. Its a guy who has magical potential and gets a somewhat mysterious invitation to a school called Brakebills, they help him develop his skills, with many misfortunes and poor choices along the way. He graduates before the end of the first book, if memory serves, then is out on his own making more bad choices. He ends up discovering Narnia (basically) and becomes an important part of said "Narnia". I can't say much more.
   I cannot recommend this book, but can recommend trying out the first book to see if it piques your intestest enough to continue to books two and three. Would I listen to a 4th book if one comes out? Probably, only because I've invested this  much time.

 2/5 Stars

Audiobook Length Apprx: 48 hours

Suitable for Ages 17-35


No comments :

Post a Comment