Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Dresden Files

By: Jim Butcher, Read by James Marsters

You may have noticed that it’s been awhile since I’ve posted, we it’s partially due to the holidays and largely to do with how long and entertaining this series was. I started listening to this about a year ago and would bounce between the Dresden Files, Disc World, and various other shorter audiobooks that would capture my attention. As the Dresden Files series went on it began to grab me more and more. Most recently I have dropped all other audiobooks and have listened straight through to the end. If you have read any of my other audiobooks reviews you may have noticed that I basically listen to an entire series rather than give you my thoughts book-by-book.
Dresden Files is the Story of Harry Dresden, his father was a Vegas-style magician with little skill and his mother who died when he was very young was a powerful Wizard. Harry inherited his mothers skills and used them to keep the streets of Chicago clean of super natural forces, listing himself in the Chicago Phonebook as “Harry Dresden- Wizard” Most took him as a joke, but when certain things just cannot be explained, people find themselves dropping by his office. This series, like most good series follows Harry as he defeats the bad guys and gains more and more power along the way.
I have not watched the Dresden Files tv show, I hear it was pretty bad then immediately cancelled. I think with the right director this series could make a great trilogy. The writer, Jim Butcher is pretty imaginative, throwing out many fun, immature, dry humor jokes and dropping lines from other famous fantasy series’ via Harry such as Lord of the Rings, Disc World, and many others.

I suggest this series to you. It had a little bot of a slow start, but the story gets more interesting as you grow with both Harry Dresden and Jim Butcher. I would recommend making sure you have the audiobooks all read by James Marsters. There are other versions that can really throw you off. Check it out, don’t give up too early. This series will get you through a good month or two of boring work hours.

Rating: ★★☆ 4/5 Stars
Length: Over 180 hours.
Recommended Ages: 16-35
Genre: Detective Fiction, Urban Fiction, Contemporary Fantasy, Fantasy, Fiction

Dresden Files Books Listing
Storm Front
Fool Moom
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks
Blood Rites
Dead Beat
Proven Guilty
White Night
Small Favor
Turn Coat
Changes
Ghost Story
Cold Days

Skin Game



No comments :

Post a Comment