Monday, January 12, 2015

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

By Douglas Adams

This is a series that has been evolving since 1971, as Adams would add to his series, he would go back and modify previous storylines for better sequel cohesion. The basic plot follows Arthur Dent a less than average Englishman as his world, our world, comes to an end, and he travels through the Galaxy on various... well, not missions, not adventures; time-passings and life-extensions? He meets some really interesting people along the way. I enjoy hearing and saying some of the names such as; Zaphod Beeblebrox, Ford Prefect, Random Dent, Slartibartfast, and Marvin the Paranoid Android. There is a nice, unique style to this audiobook that I haven’t experienced in any other book.

This series has an immense cult following. It has been adapted through radio, tv, and the movies. One English professor friend told me that it’s one of the best audiobooks he has ever listened to. That all being said; I did not like the series very much. That being said; I did not like How I met your mother and I did not like Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. Admittedly I may be the only one who did not. It was a pretty good audiobook for work because its nice background entertainment value. I didn’t think I missed a lot when I got distracted by work. It was read by Martin Freeman, so that was cool, anyone with the last name Freeman makes for a good audiobook voice. There are versions with other readers such as Stephen Frye. It had some things that appealed to me as a fan of comedy and science fiction. It was just a storyline that didn’t grab me as much other audiobooks. It has a darker humor that was refreshing, so I wouldn’t not recommend this. I do recommend it because you will probably like it.

Series listing:
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Mostly Harmless
And Another Thing…

Approximately 32 hours of playtime.

Ages 16 and up.

 3/5 Stars 

Genre: Comic Science Fiction, Science Fiction, Humor, Humour, Speculative Fiction, Humor Novel, Comic Novel


Book to Movie Grade: B

No comments :

Post a Comment